The Russian national payment system was created at the end of 2015. In the spring of 2015, the name MIR and the logo of the brand were chosen in the course of the all-Russian creativity contest. National Payment Card System is the operator of the MIR payment system.
The first MIR cards were issued in December 2015 as part of a pilot project. MIR cards are expected to be widely distributed in Russia. It is also planned to promote the card abroad as part of co-badging projects with international payment systems. Currently, Mir-Maestro, Mir-JCB and Mir-AmEx have already been issued. Unlike card transactions of international payment systems, MIR card transactions cannot be suspended and no external economic and political factors can influence their processing.
The main objectives of the Russian payment system are:
· Provision of a reliable money transfer service with the use of national payment instruments;
· Strengthening confidence in cashless payment methods;
· Creation of a Russian sovereign payments area independent of foreign companies;
· Issue of the national payment card MIR;
· Promotion of MIR cards in the international market.